The rules of Reversi are deceptively difficult to program. I've been faced with creating a recursive algorithm to check whether a move is legal, and then flip the corresponding pieces accordingly.
In terms of development, I've decided on these tools at the moment:
- CC65 C compiler for 6502-based systems (notably the C64)
- Notepad++ for my code editor (probably will replace this part)
- CC65 makefile for building/testing
- VICE emulator for local testing (can't test network functions with this)
- Real Commodore 128 and Flyer drive/network device for testing (have to move code to the device for testing)
My Retrochallenge goal is to have a working prototype of this game - a 0.1 version, if you will - by the end of July. I'd better get coding!